Saturday, May 3, 2008

31 Day Comment Challenge - Day 2

The activity for Day 2 of the Comment Challenge is to comment on a new blog and report back on one's experiences. I had a good session last night of commenting on the blogs of people taking part in this challenge but as there are nearly 100 people taking part, it is unlikely I'll get to comment on all the blogs. But for today's challenge I thought I'd report back on an experience I had earlier in the week.

Outside my comfort zone
There's been some discussion lately about the importance of breaking away from your circle of people who have similar interest and values, and visit blogs that have different perspectives. So with that in mind I followed a Twitter link to a post about the teaching and assessment of writing and literacy in schools, written by Clay Burrell.

The discussion was a lively one amongst teachers and had obviously struck a cord because there were some passionate responses. I made several comments but I am not sure if people really understood what I was trying to say, and I probably didn't really fully understand what was going on.

Feeling frustration
I found the discussion and my part in it very frustrating because I just wanted to shout at everyone "I don't care how you teach and assess literacy in schools as long as when students get to a midwifery program at university/polytechnic, they have the ability to be able to document the care they have given to a woman and their decisions about assessment and actions". It was very tempting to get sucked into an argument, but in the end I decided I'd let people who knew better than me get on with it.

Lessons for commenting
I think the main lesson I got from this experience was not to be sucked into personal, destructive arguments. I also think it is really important that you are prepared for people to disagree with you, and not to take it personally.

On the other hand, I believe bloggers must be careful how they respond to comments. If someone is just plucking up courage to comment especially if they are new to blogging and you make a response that may be misconstrued as unfriendly, that can be very off-putting for the new blogger and possibly put up barriers to future commenting on your blog.

What do you think?

comment08

Image: The hail storm we had in Dunedin yesterday.

10 comments:

Angela said...

Hi Sarah
I'm really enjoying your blog - I too am taking the 31 day challenge and it's good to know I'm not alone. I am an educator on an occupational therapy programme in the UK. Your reflections are honest and really show how blogging can enable anyone to look at their practice and/or experiences in order to develop and grow.
I agree that sometimes it's hard to get across a point without potential for misinterpretation - especially if you go out of your comfort zone to blogs in unfamiliar areas (v. brave!)- it certainly can out you off blogging. What I am learning is to try to create posts that do not give defintive information - but create an environment for sharing and discussion - a skill I am still working on - but I think you do well through your posts - I hope you don't mind me using you as a bit of a role model - can I add you to the blogroll or our blog? http://www.frederickroad.blogspot.com

Sarah Stewart said...

Hello Angela, Thank you for your kind comments and please feel free to add me to your blog roll. I am thrilled to meet up with a fellow health professional as most the people I mix with are teachers, which is fantastic, but its also nice to talk to people who understand the health context.

Have you come across Merrolle Penman? She is an OT into web 2.0. She works at Otago Polytechnic with me. Her blog address is: http://oteducation.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

i think the point of comments is challenging each other and sharing /exchanging viewpoints. Sometimes I think there is too much politeness on blogs which can get in the way of making a good passionate comment - especially if your views are challenging to the mainstream - often mainstreamers are so used to having their voices reflected back at them in their world that i feel it is challenging to have to read "other" viewpoints and this can be regarded as conflict when it is really just discussion. I think bloggers do need to the courage to being challenged tothe exercise to get the most out of it - otherwise it just disintegrates into navel gazing and a big global massage of agreement and head nodding.

Anonymous said...

yea there has to room for debate.

Sarah Stewart said...

Yep, anonymous, I wouldn't disagree with anything you are saying. Thats exactly what Michele Martin has been saying - we must get away from the global love fest and be prepared to be challenged. And I must admit when I re-read my post, I did think I was being rather precious. But at the same time, I still think we must follow basic rules of politeness and be supportive to new bloggers. I have started to use emoticons a lot more to help prevent misunderstanding of what I have said.

Anonymous said...

I personally like a good emotive discussion - I think it may be a woman thing? It is important we don't get obliged into non emotive (?traditionally male) ways of communicating just because we are using what could arguably be considered traditionally male dominated tools (ie;technology)to communicate.
I work in a female dominated field and lately we have been working quite closely with a male colleague. This has been interesting - he comments (beautifully and with respect) about how he is getting used to the female art of conducting several conversations at once, listening and speaking at the same time - ie:multi tasking and speaking with drive and passion and commitment.

Angela said...

I've been reading the comments added recently and I do agree that the more we can stimulate discussion and constructive debate then the more we can use blogging to aid and demonstrate personal and professional development. However, I do have a query - if the process is about challenging each other and offering "emotive debate" then should we not also own our comments and not post as anonymous? Just a thought on some principles of netiquette.....

Anonymous said...

probably - but anon is quicker and easier - using a first name means going through a process of signing in - and I can't be bothered. The name you are using (Angela) means nothing to me - I have no idea who you are from that - so really does no more to identify the contributer than anon so whats the difference?

Angela said...

I understand the point about speed - but by identifying yourself you open up a potential for a more informed discussion should you choose to. I guess the difference is that once signed in then the name can be clicked to give a brief overview of that person's profile - whether they have a similar or very different background (I'm speaking of a professional background here)that may inform their opinion/comment etc. and in this way generate a more thoughtful and considered discussion. It also means that you could contact that person directly to further a thread of discussion. Thanks for the debate.

Sarah Stewart said...

Am enjoying the discussion about anonymity when commenting. You can create an account on Blogspot that allows you to use your chosen name which does not take too much time. cheers Sarah