Sunday, May 11, 2008

31 Day Comment Challenge - Day 8

Day 8 of the Comment Challenge involves commenting on a blog that is outside my area of interest. This exercise is to encourage widening of one's horizons.

I don't want to be widened
To be honest, I did not want to do this challenge. As much as I agree that it is important to remember there is more than one way of seeing the world, I haven't got a lot of time to go searching out blogs that have no 'relevance' to me.

Then I struggled to think of an area of interest that I would want to follow up. And it was a bit of a worry that I could not think of any interests I had outside of midwifery and education. What kind of a sad geek am I?

The short story
Eventually I ended up at Feministing which discusses issues from a feminist point of view. It appears to have a large audience. I tried to leave a comment but you have to register on the web site and I could not be bothered to do that.

What I did find interesting was how conversations can develop in forums other than blogs. I followed a link on Feministing to a Flickr image. It is a tragic image which caused quite a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of abortion. I tend to think of websites like Flickr and YouTube as repositories of information and resources and ignore that fact that they are also community web sites. So when you are thinking about the ins and outs of commenting, do not forget these principles apply wherever you comment, not just on blogs.

4 comments:

BK said...

Hi Sarah,
I read some of your comments on Kevin's blog and found my way here. I love the Comments Challenge but got stuck using the challenge in my own way to really get to read new blogs, but within my comfort zone and to focus on conversations so I've been reading more deeply at the site instead of just browsing through comments in email.
I liked hearing your honesty.
Bonnie K. from Nyack, New York

Sarah Stewart said...

Hi Bonnie, thanks for popping by. Its good to do your own thing - we're all different so should do the challenge in a way that suits our learning requirements. cheers Sarah

BK said...

I agree Sarah,
And you know how one thing leads to the next? I was up and writing till one am. This blog thing holds on tight.
Bonnie

Sarah Stewart said...

Same here, I totally hooked!