Sunday, May 25, 2008

Comment Challenge Day 17: Commenting on Five blogs in Five minutes

I have got really behind with the Comment Challenge because I've been distracted with other projects. Thankfully, Day 16 was a rest day. Today's Challenge is designed to be a bit of fun but I think it sounds hard work - I have to comment on five blogs in five minutes.

My five comments
The posts I commented were all on blogs who are doing the Challenge. Interestingly, there was a bit of a theme - people were loving the Challenge and learning heaps, but they were getting tired. So my comments tended to be a little repetitious - I agreed that I had got a little tired of the Challenge so had taken a few days off to focus on other things. Now, I am feeling re-energized, motivated and ready to get back into things again.

My time
I have to say that I was blown away when I looked at my time. I thought I had stuck well to the five minutes. But when I added up my time, it came to 30 minutes - and that was just to make quick, reasonably unconsidered comments. Goodness only knows how much time I spend when I am thinking hard about a comment.

Lesson to be learned
I think the thing that has really struck me about this exercise is to value people's comments on my blog because they invest so much of their time into making them.

Image: 'Wishes away' davebluedevil
www.flickr.com/photos/92089029@N00/138679494

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I think you are right -- folks are feeling weary, but still seeing the value in the challenge.
It would have been better to make it 14 days or something. That was about the time when I had to take a break and then regroup and come back in.
Take care
Kevin

Sarah Stewart said...

The break has certainly given me fresh impetus. It doesn't matter if I complete the challenge in 62 days as opposed to 31 - I suspect that will be the case.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, the last remark of the post really sums up the whole challenge for me: "I think the thing that has really struck me about this exercise is to value people's comments on my blog because they invest so much of their time into making them."

I haven't tried the 5 in 5 yet, but I know it will be a challenge to do it in 25 minutes let alone 5! Thanks for another great post.

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Tena koe!

Sarah, I guess there's value in diversity too, and that was what put me off the 5 in 5 task. It did not permit me the time to utilise diversity effectively.

Christophe described it in terms of what a serial commenter would do - I liked that description.

I'm glad you're re-energised. It's good to participate with enthusiasm.

Ka kite

Kirsti A. Dyer said...

Tena koe (I hope that is a correct greeting)!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Burnout Post. It was helpful reading that others are feeling overwhelmed. Having Day 25 off will be helpful!

I am posting as part of the 31 Day Challenge, in response to Day 24, posting to a foreign country, instead of in a foreign language.

Sarah Stewart said...

Thank you, Claire, for your generous comment.

blogger middle-earth, great to hear from a fellow kiwi.

kirsti, enjoy your 'rest' day.

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read this post. Thank author for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.