Monday, May 26, 2008

Comment Challenge Day 18: Analyzing the Comments on my Blog

The activity for Day 18 of the Comment Challenge is to analyze the comments on my blog. This audit aims to show me what generates conversation so that I can replicate it in future posts.

Which of your posts have generated the most comments?
My top posts are a mix of topics:
  • Talking about clinical practice on the Internet 19 comments
  • Midwives who are inspiring 24
  • Advice to student midwives 14
  • Blogs for student midwives 14
  • Twin birth video 15
  • Pregnancy ultrasound scans 15
  • Leaving comments on my blog 18
  • Improving presentation skills 16
Which has generated the best conversation?
The posts with the 'best' conversation are not necessarily the ones with the biggest number of comments.
  • What has web 2.0 got to do with catching babies - evolved into discussion about evidence-based midwifery practice.
  • Pregnant women having too many scans? - discussion about effectiveness of scans versus assessment using traditional skills.
  • Web 2.0 teacher - discussion about using technology in teaching.
  • Excluding midwives from learning - examination of midwives' use of technology for learning.
  • Advice to midwifery students - conversation about 'surviving' life as a student midwife.
Are there any patterns to the commenting on your own blog? Do certain types of posts generate more comments than others?
I cannot really see a pattern - there appears to be a wide range of topics and type of post that attract comments.

If you do see a pattern or commonality between posts that generate good comments, what can you do to increase those qualities in other posts?
The commonality appears to be when there is a difference of opinion between readers. It does not necessarily lead to an argument, but I find it difficult to judge what will spark conversation. I do not deliberately set out to be contentious and often posts that I think will attract attention do not, and visa versa.

A comment strategy?
To be honest, I don't know if I can come to any conclusion doing this audit. For example, the post that I thought was one of my most 'boring' posts attracted the most attention. Yet, the post that I wanted to create discussion only attracted comments from two of my immediate colleagues. So I cannot see rhyme or reason to what attracts comments on this blog.

I will continue with my strategy of trying to write interesting post titles and asking questions to attract readers and generate conversation but other than that, I do not have a specific plan for generating comments.

What attracts you to make comments on this or other blogs? What type of posts do you find attracts comments to your blog, if you are a blogger?

Image: 'The Evilution of Communication' Torley
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70285332@N00/2075045856

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't find a rhyme or reason to what generates comments on my blog either. I think the most comments I've ever gotten on a post is four.

One of the things that attracts me to make comments on other blogs are questions, like the ones you ask at the end of this post. However, the main thing that attracts me to make a comment is that the post deals with something that I've also been thinking about/dealing with in my own experience. For example, if I weren't also participating in the comment challenge, I probably wouldn't have felt moved to try to answer your questions.

Sarah Stewart said...

Yes, I know what you mean. This is why the Comment Challenge has been so good, because it has 'made' me comment when I otherwise would not have done. That in itself has been a learning opportunity.