Thursday, May 15, 2008

Digital Information Literacy (DIL) research project

DIL poster        Image courtesy of Sunshine Blackall

DIL poster
Image courtesy of Sunshine Blackall

I have just volunteered to be a participant in the DIL research project. This collaborative project is funded by the New Zealand Ministry of Education and aims to support participants as they explore their digital information literacy needs.

My strengths
I am confident at using text-based tools such as blog, wikis and Twitter as well as web conference programs such as Skype and Elluminate.

I have also got my head around adding audio to PowerPoint presentations and putting them on Slideshare as slidecasts.

My goals for learning
What I want to do now is develop my skills of using and editing audio, becoming more familiar with tools like Audacity, particularly to do things like record digital stories. I see this as being particularly relevant when telling students how midwifery and childbirth was in the past - recording midwifery history. I would also like to record and store family stories for my own use.

In a similar vein I wish to develop my skills in making and editing videos. I would like to become familiar with Camstudio/Camtasia to make 'how to' videos. I also want to make good quality videos that I can post on YouTube so that I can develop resources, especially to teach clinical skills.

These skills can be used to develop my own artifacts to be kept in my ePortfolio.

Learning about action research
The other reason for joining this project is to learn more about the research process from the participant's view. Being a researcher and teacher of research, I find it is really useful to take part in research projects. The experience of being a participant informs my own research and teaching eg completing a questionnaire shows how well questions work or not.

2 comments:

Bronwyn hegarty said...

Sarah
It is great to have you in the project. Your goals are achievable and it is really good to see the reasons for your choice of goals.

As part of your action research cycle, it would be useful if you could identify the issue(s) which have led you to choose these goals.

For example, is midwifery history "thin on the ground" or is there a lack of audiovisual material? and why is it important to have this form of recording midwifery history?

Also why is it important to create videos of clinical skills?

Before you start making your own resources - how do you intend to go about searching for existing material?

Sarah Stewart said...

Is there anything I have missed?

Here's the answer to your question, Bron.