Thursday, December 10, 2015

I am a nurse again!

After all these years of midwifery, I have reactivated my nurse registration.

I am bucking the trend in Australia because an increasing number of midwives are letting go of their nurse registration. This is because of a number of reasons, not least because midwives do not identify as nurses, and do not want to have to maintain two sets of regulatory requirements.

You could be forgiven for wondering how on earth I have managed to register as a nurse when I have such a prominent midwifery role. I have to say that it was a lot easier than I thought because so much of what I do in my day job can also be applied to nursing.

I don't have any plans to dash off and become the next Florence Nightingale. But I do think it's handy to have my nursing registration up my sleeve in case I ever decide to do something different one day, like work in a rural or remote area of Australia.

Are you a midwife who also has a nurse qualification? Have you maintained your nurse registration, or let it go?  How easy is it to maintain two professional registrations in your country?

1 comment:

Delia said...

Hi Sarah,
Congratulations on becoming a nurse again. I hope 2016 went well with nursing! As a former speechie who struggled to keep/drop my professional membership I understand your choice! I can see from your blog that you have not posted for a while, so you must be busy working.
I am testing a new idea in relation to nurse recruitment and I was wondering if I could ask you for your feedback? I'd love any thoughts you might have.
Many thanks,
Delia Timms
www.findanurse.com.au
delia@gameshape.com